Formed in 1989 the Friends of the Library is a volunteer, non-profit group that believes in libraries and their importance to the community. It’s purpose is to provide financial assistance to the Moose Jaw Public Library for projects and acquisitions not provided for in the library’s annual budget; to stimulate community awareness and use of the library; to create public support for the library and its services; and to promote the library at every opportunity.
The Friends of the Library Used Book Sale is a semi-annual event held in the meeting rooms on the top floor of the original library building. The items for sale are library materials which have been withdrawn from the collection due to condition or dated content or which have been donated and are surplus to our requirements. The book sales are fund-raising events sponsored and staffed by the Friends of the Library. 100% of proceeds are used to fund projects which will enhance library collections or services.
How Can You Be a Friend?
- By becoming a member!
- By giving your time in supporting Friends activities.
- Through donations to enhance the collections.
- Through memorial gifts, bequests and endowments.
Friends of the Library membership forms are available at the Circulation Desk at Moose Jaw Public Library. Completed forms and membership fees can also be submitted to the Circulation Desk. Membership fees are as follows:Individual memberships – $10.00
Family memberships – $15.00
Organizational memberships – $15.00
Business memberships – $50.00
(These are annual fees which cover the calendar year January to December. Cheques should be made payable to Friends of the Library.)
How Do You Benefit?
- The Friends of the Library is registered as a charitable organization and as such issues income tax-deductible receipts to donors.
- Upon request your name will appear on items purchased with your donations.
- With your approval your gifts and assistance will be recognized through regular media releases.
- You will receive a semi-annual “Friends” newsletter.
- Most importantly, you will have a chance to enhance a vital part of your community.
How Do We Raise Funds?
Funds are raised through:
- Public and corporate donations
- Foundation grants
- Bequests and endowments
- Special programs and events (such as used book and a/v material sales)
- Membership sales
How Are Funds Used?
Recent Friends projects have included:
- The purchase of four Early Literacy Stations for the Children’s Dept.
- The purchase of Book Club Kits for the Adult Dept.
- The purchase of new cafe style tables and chairs for the Young Adult Dept.
- The funding of projects in the Archives Dept.